A friend of mine has recently bought a guinea pig and she was asking me if it’s ok to cover the guinea pig cage at night?
I had to confess that I didn’t really know, so I did some research, and here’s what I found out!
It’s generally not necessary to cover your guinea pig’s cage at night. Guinea pigs are crepuscular animals, which means they are most active during dawn and dusk. During the day, they will hide in their cage if it’s too bright or if there is a lot of noise.
That said, some guinea pig owners prefer to cover their cages at night to give their pets more privacy and reduce the amount of noise that wakes them up.
If you do choose to cover your guinea pig’s cage at night, make sure there is still enough ventilation.
In this article, we’ll discuss more in-depth whether or not you should cover your guinea pig’s cage at night, as well as I will share some tips on how to do it safely.
By the end, you should have a better idea of what’s best for your guinea pig.
Should guinea pig cages be covered at night?
The answer to this question is a little more complicated than simply yes or no. While there are some benefits to covering your guinea pig cage at night, there are also some drawbacks that you should consider.
One of the main benefits of covering your guinea pig cage at night is that it can help your guinea pig sleep. Guinea pigs are very sensitive to noise and light, and covering the cage can reduce the amount of both.
This can help your guinea pig get a better night’s sleep, which is important for their overall health.
Another benefit of covering the cage is that it can provide your guinea pig with a sense of security. In fact, some guinea pigs feel more secure with a cover over their cage at night.
This is because it makes them feel like they are in a burrow, which is their natural habitat in the wild.
Note: There are also some drawbacks to covering your guinea pig’s cage at night. One of the main ones is that it can reduce the amount of ventilation in the cage.
So, if the cage is covered, make sure there are plenty of holes for air to flow through.
In fact, having a cage fully covered can stress your guinea pig out, so it’s important to only cover the cage partially as well as choose a light blanket to cover your guinea pig’s cage.
Why do people put blankets in guinea pig cages?
There are a few reasons people might put blankets in guinea pig cages.
- Warmth. A major reason is to keep their guinea pigs warm. If you live in a cold climate, or if your home gets chilly at night, a blanket can help your guinea pig stay warm.
- A place to hide. As we discussed, some guinea pigs feel more secure with a blanket over their cage at night. This is because it makes them feel like they are in a burrow, which is their natural habitat in the wild.
- Noise. Generally, guinea pigs are very sensitive to noise. If there is a lot of noise in your home at night, covering the cage can help reduce the amount of noise that wakes them up.
How to cover a guinea pig cage at night safely?
If you do choose to cover your guinea pig’s cage at night, there are a few things you should do to make sure it’s safe.
- Make sure there is plenty of ventilation. Guinea pigs need a lot of airflows, so if you cover the cage, make sure there are plenty of holes for air to flow through.
- Choose a light blanket. A heavy blanket can actually stress your guinea pig out, so it’s important to choose a light blanket that won’t weigh down the cage.
- Only cover the cage partially. It’s important to leave some of the cage uncovered so your guinea pig doesn’t feel claustrophobic.
So, what material should you use to cover the cage?
Sometimes people use fleece blankets because they are soft and comfortable and don’t have strings that the guinea pigs could get tangled in.
Whatever type of blanket you use, make sure it is clean and doesn’t have any holes in it. Guinea pigs like to chew on things, so a blanket with holes in it could be dangerous.
Ideally, you’d want to cover just the top half of the cage so your guinea pig has plenty of ventilation and doesn’t feel claustrophobic.
What time should I cover my guinea pig cage?
The best time to cover a guinea pig cage is at night after your guinea pig has gone to sleep. This way, they won’t be disturbed by the light or the noise and can get a good night’s sleep.
This will help to keep the cage dark and quiet, which will help your guinea pig sleep.
Do guinea pigs get cold at night?
Guinea pigs get cold at night. That’s why they need a warm place to sleep, ideally with a sleeping bag or a cover to keep them warm.
Guinea pigs are very sensitive to temperature changes and can get cold easily, even at night. If the temperature in their cage drops below 65 degrees Fahrenheit, they may start shivering and may even develop respiratory problems.
That is why guinea pigs eat a lot of food, they need to generate their own body heat to stay warm. So it’s important during the winter months to make sure their cage is in a warm room and to give them extra bedding to burrow in.
How can I keep my guinea pig cage warm at night?
There are a few things you can do to keep your guinea pig cage warm at night.
- First, make sure the room their cage is in is warm. If it’s cold in the room, they will get cold.
- Second, you can put a heating pad under their cage. Make sure to put it on the lowest setting and wrap it in a towel so it doesn’t get too hot.
- Third, you can give them a fleece blanket to sleep in. This will help them stay warm and cozy during the night.
How do I get guinea pigs to sleep at night?
If you’re a light sleeper, you may have trouble getting a good night’s rest if your guinea pigs are keeping you up with their nocturnal activity. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to encourage them to sleep at night.
- Ensure their enclosure is in a quiet, dark room. This will cue their bodies to start producing melatonin, the hormone that makes us feel sleepy.
- Provide them with plenty of Hay to nest with. This will give them a cozy place to snuggle up and rest.
- Finally, avoid handling them too much in the evening so they don’t get too excited and have trouble sleeping. With a little patience and effort, you can train your guinea pigs to sleep through the night so you can get the rest you need.
Can I leave my guinea pig in the dark?
While guinea pigs are diurnal animals that are most active during the day, they can adapt to changes in lighting. If you need to leave your guinea pig in the dark for a short period of time, there is no need to worry.
However, if you’re planning on leaving your guinea pig in the dark for an extended period of time, it’s important to make sure that their space is safe and comfortable.
In fact, I’d say that If you’re going to be gone for more than a few hours, consider providing your guinea pig with a nightlight or other source of low-level light. This will help them feel more comfortable in their space.
We covered a lot of information in this article.
I talked about whether or not it’s OK to cover your guinea pig cage at night and what time is best to do so. I also talked about how guinea pigs get cold at night and how to keep their cage warm.
Then I talked about how to encourage guinea pigs to sleep at night and how to leave them in the dark.
There are a few things that guinea pigs might not like that I covered in a recent article. If you have or maybe you’re planning to get a guinea pig I encourage you to read that article as well.
Was this helpful?
Good job! Please give your positive feedback
How could we improve this post? Please Help us.